Tuesday, May 29, 2012

The Dye Pot- Petunias

A friend of mine gave me a bag of petunias she had dead-headed. They were a deep violet with a white stripe. I'm not sure of the name. I immediately thought of the dye pot!

I chose a muslin and a sheer mystery fabric. The mystery fabric is not silk, hence the name.

I boiled the petunias in a vinegar bath for a half hour, then added the cloth for another half hour.
I then turned off the pot and let it sit overnight. The pictures above are the result. The first picture
is the muslin, it turned out a lovely shade of rose. The mystery fabric (second picture) turned out
a dusty gray, it's a lovely shade that does not show up well in the photo.

The fabrics were heat set and are now ready for different art projects.


  1. How cool...and more ambitious than me! :-)) I can't wait to see your next step with the fabric!

  2. Thank you sweetie. I love to dye fabric. I started dyeing last summer.


LIFE ON THE SIDEWALK a photo essay

As most of you know I move in a wheelchair. My observations are different than someone who walks. Quite simply, I'm lower to the gro...