Tuesday, May 29, 2012

The Dye Pot- Petunias




A friend of mine gave me a bag of petunias she had dead-headed. They were a deep violet with a white stripe. I'm not sure of the name. I immediately thought of the dye pot!

I chose a muslin and a sheer mystery fabric. The mystery fabric is not silk, hence the name.

I boiled the petunias in a vinegar bath for a half hour, then added the cloth for another half hour.
I then turned off the pot and let it sit overnight. The pictures above are the result. The first picture
is the muslin, it turned out a lovely shade of rose. The mystery fabric (second picture) turned out
a dusty gray, it's a lovely shade that does not show up well in the photo.

The fabrics were heat set and are now ready for different art projects.

4 comments:

  1. How cool...and more ambitious than me! :-)) I can't wait to see your next step with the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you sweetie. I love to dye fabric. I started dyeing last summer.

    ReplyDelete

LIFE ON THE SIDEWALK a photo essay

As most of you know I move in a wheelchair. My observations are different than someone who walks. Quite simply, I'm lower to the gro...