Wednesday, September 7, 2011
Dyeing with Fruit
Muslin dyed with blueberries
1. Make sure the muslin is washed before dyeing.
2. Put a pint of blueberries and 3 cups of water on stove and bring to boil. Remove blueberries.
3. I gathered up the muslin and here and there tied string on so the color would not be even.
4. Stir blueberries and shut off heat when it has reached a boil. Put muslin in making sure to soak
the entire cloth. I let mine sit for an hour, the longer it sits the more intense the color.
5. Take the dyed piece out of the water and let it dry outside. Leave the string on until the fabric
is nearly dry.
6. When the muslin is dried, cut of string and lay the piece of muslin out to finish drying.
7. When dry heat set fabric with iron. Gently wash and then put in dryer. This will further set the color.
Your hands will turn blue.
Never use a pot you are going to cook with to dye fabric.
Be sure to wash separately as dye will fade.
Remove hot cloth with tongs and place in bowl so it does not drip on your floor.
Susan Hemann: Quiet Reflection Sunday- Listen : Put your ear down close to your soul and listen hard. Anne Sexton Hope you a...
Autumn is a season of transition. Melancholy sets in for me at this time of year. It's a time for remembering how life is alway...
Live the full life of the mind, exhilarated by new ideas, intoxicated by the romance of the unusual. Ernest Hemingway In this ...